Saturday, November 14, 2009

Tarrin Webb

Tarrin Webb is a graduate of the Long Ridge Writer’s Group in Connecticut and has a B.S. degree in Mass Communications. She is a member of the Gopher Prairie Writer’s Group in Sauk Centre, MN. She lives in Litchfield, MN with her husband, cats and Opie, her Yorkshire Terrier.

Was there any particular inspiration for Shortcuts?
Two Januarys ago, my twenty-year-old niece was stranded on a dark, secluded road just like Gail. Instead of a flat tire, however, her car just went dead, and the area was a cell phone-dead zone for her cell carrier, too. My niece had worked someone else’s shift at a nursing home. She ran to the nearest house to use their phone in ten below zero weather.

In the story, Gail seems to have a strong opinion regarding the behavior of blonds versus brunettes. Can you expand on the reasoning of this perspective?
Any attitude about the behavior of blonds versus brunettes is purely unconscious on Gail’s part, and mine as the author. Tina just happens to be a blond waitress Gail works with, and Gail just happens to be a brunette. Actually, I think, there’s more of a commentary about how some men still treat hard working, blue collar waitresses like Tina and Gail. Fortunately, Gail listens to her better nature, and her manager’s orders not to fraternize with him, and doesn’t give Phil her co-worker’s phone number.

When did you first decide you wanted to be a writer?
I was ten when I decided to become a writer someday. However, I’m a bit of a late bloomer to the world of writing. It’s only been in the past five years that I’ve carved out enough time to indulge my writing passion.

What is your preferred genre of writing?
I love writing mysteries or fantasies or combining the two genres into urban fantasy-type mysteries. I like these genres because the story moves along on action as well as the inner lives of its characters.

What do you think makes a good story?
I think good stories need solid plots, good characters, and a plot twist at the end. I try to make my characters real people who get entangled in unusual circumstances and then have to use their ingenuity to find a way out of the problem.

What is the most challenging part of the writing process for you?
Starting a new story is always challenging, but the most challenging part for me is the marketing process. By nature, I’m not a salesperson.

What does audio production bring to your story?
Having Shortcuts audio produced is like my story went to college and came home a really cool, adult! It’s the same story, but now it has a unique life all of its own.

Are you working on any stories or other literary works at the present?
I’m working on a few other suspense stories as well as an urban fantasy/mystery novel.

What do you like to do when you’re not writing?
I care for 16 cats and my Yorkshire terrier, Opie. I also enjoy traveling with my husband. I’m a long time member of the Gopher Prairie Writers Group in Sauk Centre, MN and the Creative Five Writing/Artists Group in Brainerd, MN. I’m a graduate of the Long Ridge Writer’s Group, and I’m now taking a second course in writing the novel. Naturally, I read whenever I get the chance, usually too long into the night.


Tarrin Webb - Published Works:

Freelance writer for several local newspapers.

Tek-Nically Speaking, a monthly, company newsletter

Poets & Writers magazine grant to teach a short story fiction workshop in the local community education program.

Christmas Minstrels, a short story for teens published in Listen magazine.



Published: 11-2009, Mind Wings Audio

No comments:

Post a Comment